Non-Thermal Plasma: The Innovative Solution for Tar Conversion
Gasification is a clean energy technology that can convert low-value feedstocks into high-value products, help reduce dependence on foreign oil, and substitute natural gas and other fuels.
However one of the most significant problems with gasification is that it results in the formation of undesirable byproducts like tar. Tar is problematic to downstream equipment and requires more sophisticated methods of conversion or removal than other byproducts of gasification.
In light of the need for tar removal and the stringent requirements involved in the process, APS proposes an innovative non-thermal plasma (NTP) based solution for conversion of tar from gasification product gas.
Features and Benefits
• Lab testing has shown operating costs as low as 0.1 kilowatt hour per cubic meter of treated gas
• Compact system capable of operating at various pressures
• High compatibility with stainless steel and various other materials with very little material degradation
• Low temperature and low energy cost - NTP has been shown to use only 5% of energy used by thermal processes
• Converts tar into syngas
• Reduces the amount of oxygen in final syngas product
CONTACT US TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THIS AND OTHER PLASMA APPLICATIONS